Philander Smith College celebrates 135 years | News
LITTLE ROCK, AR (Philander Smith College) -- Philander Smith College will celebrate the 135th anniversary of the founding of Walden Seminary on Nov. 7, with a symposium, a historical marker unveiling and a reception. From 11 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. several guests have been invited to the Wesley Chapel and Kendall Center to commemorate this historical milestone.
A permanent placard or historical marker provided by the Arkansas Historical Commission will be unveiled near Wesley Chapel at noon. The marker captures the historical relationship between the United Methodist Church and our college. Walden Seminary was the precursor of Philander Smith College when the Methodist Episcopal Church founded the institution in 1877 under the auspices of the Freedman Aid Society. The college's origins centered on educating those who were enslaved, oppressed and subjected to societal injustices. Today, that foundation serves as the bedrock of our mission and social justice principles.
Please plan to attend the symposium entitled "From Wesley to Walden: Methodist Roots of Philander Smith College" starting at 11 a.m. in the Wesley Chapel.
(Source: Philander Smith College)
Upcoming Events near Little Rock
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Chase Brown gets a helping hand from Arkansas Voices for the Children Left Behind
- Boys and Girls Club of Central Arkansas will provide free shoes to children in need
- Military Museum to host Holiday Concert
- Lisa Academy Charter School collecting shoes for Soles4Souls
- Christmas in the Quarter Celebrates 10th Anniversary Sunday